Swim Lanes/Class of Service (again), and Issue Tracking

Ray Caruso

09 Dec, 2013 08:40 PM

I just signed up for the free version to give AgileZen a spin. I hate to beat a dead hours with a broken stick here, but I am surprised and disappointed about the lack of two very useful Kanban tools:

1. Swim Lanes - the ability offer value stream partners different classes of service and to allocate portions of WIP to each is very useful in lean processes.

2. Separate Issue Tracking: The ability to link one or more blocked work item to a specific blocking issue is very powerful. Further still, is the ability to track the blocking issue as a work item itself on the kanban board (with owner and process position) enable the communication and visibility of areas for improvement. This feature would require Swim lanes as work on a blocking issue is another class of service.

Although I do find the simplicity of AgileZen to be very attractive and elegant, the two kanban tools mentioned above help drive transparency across the value stream which in turn helps to drive continuous improvement and thus drive down waste- which are key tenants of Kanban.

Ray

1. 1 Posted by ashley on 09 Dec, 2013 10:24 PM

Hi Ray,

Thank you for sharing your insights on class of service and the value of swimlanes. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration! We have advised our user community with several different strategies for differentiating types of work, such as using colors or tags to further organize their process. I understand the valid points you make here as well, and we will keep your feedback in mind for future improvements on the Rally suite of products.

We hope you'll consider using AgileZen to see if it can adapt to your work flow, but I understand your concerns and appreciate you sharing!

All the best,

Ashley

2. 2 Posted by Maria on 02 Apr, 2016 08:17 PM

My team also has a need for swim lanes. I have seen several posts inquiring about this for Agile Zen from 2011 to 2013, now it's 2016. Are you able to add this functionality? or is it just not a priority? There are many people that would benefit from this feature. We won't be using your program without the capability for swim lanes. We are well aware there are other ways to categorize, however we have those options in the current program we are using and without swim lanes there, we have expanded our initiatives enough that the filtering isn't enough. Please consider listening to the requests over the last 5 years to add swim lanes.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac